Monday, December 31, 2007

Bye, 2007

Current mood: calm


Bye, 2007-you'll be over in just a few short hours. It's been a good year overall for my family. We FINALLY moved to the Syracuse area after selling our condo in South Florida. I say finally because it took a while for us to be in a position, financially & otherwise, to make this big move. Selling the condo wasn't easy until we lowered the price a bit more than we had anticipated. I hear now the condos in that area we lived in are selling for even less than what we sold at (like 20G-ouch!). We talked & researched for quite some time about where we'd move and the kids were fine with the big move.

We visited Disney in April of this past year because we knew it'd be a good long while before we could do that again. We visited Epcot one day and the Magic Kingdom for two days. I remember Eric saying, "Visit Disney...the hottest place on earth..." quite a few times during that trip. I really don't miss the heat we experienced in Florida. The heat here isn't, on most hot days, like the heat in Florida. Florida heat is a special kind of humid, humid heat. Anyway...

So in July we packed up our two kids, our belongings, our three cats, a hamster, and a dog and made a three day drive to Syracuse. I think about it now, and it is amusing, really. Cats really don't like to be 'whisked off' to places. We captured them from the condo into little crates, moved them next door to a friend's condo for a month where we lived until the closing date of our house in NY was close. Then we captured the cats again and drove to Hinesville, GA and stayed the night with Eric's parents. I think besides the moving of all the furniture and boxes (Eric and I feared our backs were gonna give out), the cats were the most difficult to move. A lot of hissing and tiptoeing around sneaking up behind the cats went on.

Then we drove from Hinesville, GA to Richmond, VA to a pet-friendly hotel. It really wasn't in the nicest section of town in Richmond VA-we were nervous that our stuff was going to get broken into. Again, it is amusing now. In between driving from Richmond to Syracuse, I got a call from our real estate attorney saying there was some kind of delay with closing!! This is still not amusing to me. Anyway, we arrived here-oh, after I dropped the three cats of with my sister Jessica in Whitney Point, who was kind enough to keep the three cats so we could close on our house in peace. Only one day delay with closing, and we arrived at the attorney's office with two kids, a dog, and a hamster. That will always amuse me. Anyway, we left the hamster in the car, the kids and the dog sat in a room by themselves for a little while, and Eric and I signed a mountain of papers, got the keys, & got home.

So here we are. The kids like their schools, are making friends, and they really love the snow. They're begging to go sledding today, but even though it snowed last night it is a bit too slushy out. Soon, soon, we will go sledding-they each got a nice little sled for Christmas. We had friends over the other night for dinner, which was really nice, I'm feeling more settled at work, and Eric has steady work at home he was able to move with him. We went to Whitney Point yesterday and saw my sis and her kids, including new baby Allen, born Dec 18. We're doing fine. I'm looking forward to putting down more roots here in 2008 and seeing more of beautiful upstate New York...

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm so glad life is good for you all. I wish we lived closer, but I'm glad we at least have blogs to keep up with each other. I miss you! Love you....

Unknown said...

Hey! I can REALLY relate to your cat relocating troubles... (see my blog for details!!)
Tell the girls I'll go sledding with them very soon. We'll be "HOME" by tonite!! YA HOO!!!