Monday, May 19, 2008

Spring

So, it is May 19. I don't blog very much. Lots going on here, though. Alissa is playing soccer now. Her team is undefeated...three games, three wins. She seems to enjoy soccer; she is about the only kid who hasn't played before, so she is learning.

I actually got a little sunburn while Eric and I watched Alissa's game on Saturday. It was still pretty cool out (probably no higher than 65), but the sun was shining sooo bright and the skies looked like they were clear for miles. Anyway, just gorgeous. What a direct contrast from the South Florida heat we were used to. Heard the temp in S FL was 93 the other day. I really don't miss that.

Sophia is done with her Irish Step Dance class for now, I am sure she'll want to do that again next year. Second grade is going well for her and she and Alissa both have made a lot of friends and have gone to lots of birthday parties. Sophia seemed to like the snow and cold more than Alissa. Alissa told me she liked the snow, but would like it to not be so cold. She also has told me that the 'kids up here are happier, nicer, than in Florida'. I thought that was an interesting statement from a 6th grader.

I work nights now and it's interesting. I may never go back to working a 'normal' 9-5 schedule again. This wacky schedule allows for having stretches of time off and for me to be there for plays, games, etc. It also demands that I sleep during the day quite often, which Eric has pointed out may be part of the reason I like it so much. Maybe I feel like I am getting away with something. Ha.

I am still learning lots with my nursing career, too. I am still working in Oncology, which is the fancy word for cancer. Sad, but I have met some of the coolest people that I otherwise probably wouldn't have met. I can't mention names, but I am thinking right now of a particular lady who passed away recently that I'd really gotten very attached to. I told her while she was dying that if I lived to be a hundred years old I'd never forget her. At that point in her dying process, she was hardly ever opening her eyes. She never lost her dignity, the woman I am writing about. Even in her very last days and hours, she seemed to be trying to smile when people came in and talked to her.

I won't continue on about my work experiences; they are really moving experiences at times, but I know they're so sad and even can freak people out when I talk about them. All right, had a good cry just now. Sheesh. Blog later (probably in several months again!!).

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow, it doesn't take much to move me, but that was moving. I can't imagine how rewarding and truly heartbreaking your work must be. I have been touched by so many who have dealt with and are dealing with cancer in recent years. Being in ministry really brings a lot of that our way. We just recently had a dear friend die from pancreatic cancer. He only lived 5 1/2 months from the time of his diagnosis. I miss him dearly. I'm just thankful he is not suffering anymore.
You are such a genuine person and I love that about you. I believe you have found your calling. Love you, Leslie....

Unknown said...

I would love to sit and just listen to your stories someday. I am sure you meet some amazing people.
Let's do lunch!!